Information about upcoming virtual workshops will be posted soon.
Previous Programs Have Included:
The Boom of Esports and its Impact on the Sports Industry
Complete an in-depth analysis of the Esports industry and Esports at a college and university level, and explore the cultural and socioeconomic impact of Esports on a college campus and a global scale.
Coronavirus, Inequality, and the Law: The Pandemic and the Disparate Impact on Communities of Color
It has been widely reported that the novel coronavirus is severely impacting communities of color. The reasons for this are numerous and largely grounded in the law’s historically unequal treatment of marginalized and underprivileged groups. Students will explore how the law, influenced by social hierarchies and power, created structures and institutions that permitted these inequalities to take hold, leading to the terrible, and often deadly, consequences of the pandemic.
Crafting Your Portfolio: Highlight What You Do Best
Meet with faculty from The College of Arts, Media and Design who specialize in their particular design area. Faculty will work directly with students to look through already created pieces and will create individual assignments that will help in cultivating a portfolio that demonstrates specific interests and talents in their best light.
Engineering Innovation & Design
Focus on engineering design with two themes running throughout – handling uncertainty in rough calculations using fermi estimations and designing equipment for characters in a story.
Ethics for Artificial Intelligence and Digital Technologies
Tackle some of the deepest and hardest challenges raised by emerging technologies such as machine learning and virtual reality, learning how to draw on the insights of philosophy to better understand and resolve these challenges while working to develop core ethical reasoning skills.
Exploring Healthcare Solutions
Explore the broad scope of careers in health professions with well-established representatives from multiple fields. Students will participate in large group and breakout sessions focusing on how different healthcare professionals are affected by and approach a dilemma facing communities throughout the world.
- What virtual programs will you be offering this year?
- After a successful summer of virtual offerings in 2020, we are excited to continue to offer programming online throughout the academic year and into next summer. We will continue to update this page with the new programs, dates and format.
- What virtual programs did you offer in the past?
- Summer 2020, we piloted our first virtual pre-college programs. Students were able to enroll into a variety of Academic Immersion sessions, which consisted of 3-4 hours of intensive academic material in their subject of interest. Students could enroll in one or up to all programs. Additionally, students were given access to Northeastern specific programming including student panels and information sessions on different aspects of university life, as well as social programming.
- What is the cohort size of the virtual programs?
- Cohort size will vary depending on the virtual option. Workshops will typically have a smaller cohort of between 10-30 students to allow for focused faculty attention and to help moderate the more hands on learning process.
- Who teaches the virtual programs?
- The programs will be led by Northeastern faculty and may be supported by other instructors, graduate students, or TAs. Each program creates their own teaching structure to best fit the program.
- Will you continue to offer virtual programs in the coming years?
- Yes, Accelerate has always aimed to bring content online to connect with more students around the globe throughout the academic year. We’re excited by these current initiatives and to expand in the future.
- How do you apply for a virtual program?
- Applications vary depending on the type of virtual option. Workshops will require an abbreviated application. We will update this section with more information about the application process soon.
- Will the residential programs be online for summer 2021?
- At this time, we are planning to run our summer residential programs as we have in previous years. We’ll continue to monitor the situation around COVID-19 to keep our community safe and healthy. Accelerate will make a final decision in early 2021 regarding summer programming.